A new version of one of the most popular TV sets based on Mini LED technology has arrived at the editorial office of HDTVPolska. Samsung Neo QLED QN91B, the successor to the beloved and appreciated Samsung QN91A. This year, the manufacturer focused on minor improvements and improvements that could be observed in last year’s model. The TV can boast a very good performance. An average HDR brightness of 1375 nits, 720 backlight zones and plenty of functionality available to gamers provide a great experience. You can see that the company is making more progress every year and developing LCD technology, making it difficult to distinguish from displays in OLED technology. In today’s test, we will analyze in detail all the features of the TV and share our knowledge about it. We invite you to take a comprehensive test!
Reader, as the only one in the country, we look at TV sets individually described according to their parameters, using special measuring equipment worth more than PLN 100,000:
- Jet Spectraval 1511HiRes spectroradiometer
- Klein-K10A and Klein-K80 color meters
- Murideo Fresco Six-G (Dolby Vision)
- Murideo The SEVEN Generator HDMI 2.1 4K / 120fps (Dolby Vision, Dolby Audio)
- Proprietary measurement of Input Lag in 4K HDR (we are the only ones in Poland to perform such measurements in 4K HDR)
- The best HDMI cables on the market: MagicLink
Therefore, you can be sure that you are reading about a product or promotion that is not classified from a brochure or from another site on the web without checking it. If you are interested in using our text, please contact the Editorial Office. All rights to information and images from HDTVPolska measurements are reserved!
The most important features of this year’s Samsung Neo QLED Mini LED TVs
- Photo Editing Options – AI Neo Quantum 4K processor is responsible for improving the image in real time, automatically adjusts the quality of the image and the volume of the sound to the situation in the living room or another room where the TV is located. When we watch a movie in the evening with the lights off and on, the picture will still retain details and visual details, for example, in the dark parts of the picture.
- Eye Comfort Modewhich, thanks to the built-in light sensor and information about the time of day, automatically adjusts the brightness and volume of the screen. As the ambient light changes, the screen adjusts its brightness level, producing a warmer tone and adjusting the blue light level accordingly (this feature uses local IP to get information about weather and sunrise/sunset times.)
- Compatibility with technology Dolby Atmos (wireless)
- the latest version system-rich video software Tizen (optimized Smart Hub chip)
- Active Loudspeaker – When we are watching TV and suddenly there is a loud, disturbing noise, for example from a vacuum cleaner or a mixer, then the TV will automatically increase the volume of the material being watched. When the unit is turned off, the volume on the TV will also return to the level it was in a quiet room
- The system Q-Symphony – we can simultaneously use the sound characteristics of the speakers built into the TV and the sound bar itself. So the speakers, eg from the top of the screen, and the bottom ones from the sound bar supported by a wireless subwoofer will play. This promotes further sound enhancement
- Something Follows the Sound Lite – This feature will track the movement of specific objects on the screen and direct sound effects to their current location. The helicopter in the top right corner of the screen? This is where you will hear more
- Remote Access Function – Take your office home and work on your TV. The Remote Access function allows you to display a computer image wirelessly on the TV screen. You can also connect to your office computer to access files and work on documents using Microsoft Office 365. And all this is done from the comfort of your own apartment and on the big screen.
- Multi View Function – The possibility of sending images from a smartphone or camera to a different part of the TV screen. This is a very useful feature that opens up many ways to watch TV. We can, for example, watch matches and follow live commentary on Twitter. We can play a particular title on the console and watch the YouTube channel to track how the game is progressing. We can also train with Ewa Chodakowska and watch our movements on the TV screen via the connected webcam. The options and ideas to use are endless
- HDMI 2.1 ports enabling, among others, to send 4K signals at 120Hz
- It’s full compatibility with new generation consoles: Xbox Series X | S and PlayStation 5 (4K 120fps, 1440p 120fps, 1080p 120fps, VRR (AMD FreeSync Premium ProHDMI-VRR), Dynamic Black Balancer, Auto Game Mode (ALLM), Deep Motion Fluid +)
- More advanced game mode compared to last year’s models – a new handheld Player Panelwhich allows you to check, among other things, the number of frames per second (FPS)
- The Biggest Look in Sports – The player sees more thanks to the aspect ratio of 21: 9 or 32: 9, similar to the width of the player monitors
- Movement Fluidizer + for players – smoothing out games using “TV processor power” while reducing input lag
- Environmental Conditions Improved – The TV is no longer a black spot hanging on the wall – you can activate a screen saver or another picture from a wide gallery on a special website. Very low power consumption in Idle Mode.
- Easy TV setup for setup and operation thanks to the function Smart Things
- Availability of Apple TV and AirPlay 2
- Touch and Look – touch the TV and phone and it will automatically detect the device and display content from your phone
- 120Hz matrix works well in games and in the case of Samsung – also in games (Motion Plus Gra, 4K 120fps)
- A new light source, ie diode Quantum Mini LEDwhich is only 1/40 the size of conventional LEDs
- Application of quantum dot technology to get the so-called wide gamut, i.e. more saturated colors in 4K Ultra HD material, eg movies or games
- Wide Viewing Angle – the same angle as in the IPS matrix while maintaining the black characteristics and contrast of the active VA matrix
- Anti-reflection coating – the light that illuminates the TV set will not interfere with the afternoon match or the evening movie run. Thanks to the Anti-Reflective Coating, you can forget about the distracting glare
- Help for advanced HDR format – HDR10+
- Neo Slim Design – Super thin screen that looks great from every angle
- Certificate “Eye Care” awarded by the Verband Deutscher Elektrotechniker (VDE), Germany’s respected electrical engineering certification body.
What is Mini LED technology?
Small LED rear light is a development of the standard technology of LED backlights with internal dimming. Let’s recall how the LCD screen is designed:
Mini LED technology covers the bottom layer in the diagram above – the element that causes the matrix to receive light. So it is not a new type of matrix as such. Televisions can be based on conventional IPS or VA panels. They can also use arrays that are already known to widen viewing angles or quantum dots as in the tested QN91B model.
Why is the correct backlight important? Well, thanks to advanced technology, it can turn off independently in certain areas. Thanks to this, it is possible to achieve deeper blacks compared to OLED televisions. Remember that the LCD matrix itself is completely flawed in blocking light. VA panels can provide a contrast of 2500 – 6000: 1, and IPS around 1000 – 1500: 1. Therefore, when comparing a classic LCD screen with an OLED TV, the difference in black is greater in favor of the latter. Reducing the amount of light already in the backlight layer can significantly improve this situation. In addition, thanks to this solution, we can also rely on very high brightness (which reaches a setting of 1770 nits in HDR mode, for example in the tested QN91B) is not currently available and is not very safe for all OLED TVs due to the weak durability of this type of matrix.
Mini LED – advantages
The biggest difference made by the Mini LED backlight technology is the fact. Sitting in front of the TV using this technology – in our case Samsung Neo QLED QN91B, it is difficult to distinguish it from OLED! The TV can even handle demanding scenes, where black areas are surrounded by bright images. This is all thanks to the large number of zones (720) and the refined algorithm of empty places. You can read more about this later in the test in the black section.
What? What does the Samsung Neo QLED QN91B Mini LED look like?
The design of the Samsung Neo QLED QN91B TV is optimized for every situation. Despite the high backlight, the screen looks very modern and thin. All thanks to the use of Mini LED technology, which allows the construction of a thin matrix.
The base of the TV set is very strong and heavy so it holds the TV well. However, it is not stylistically different.
The frames surrounding the matrix are very thin. The TV will fit into any room whether standing or hanging on the wall.
In the Samsung Neo QLED QN91B we will not find the “One Connect” solution known from the higher QN95 series. All ports and connectors are located on the back of the TV. We have: 4 HDMI 2.1 ports (4K120Hz, eARC, ALM, VRR), 2 USB ports, Ethernet connector, audio equipment and TV tuners, including DVB-T2.
The remote control that comes with the set is a familiar design. It’s very small and has all the necessary keys and shortcuts for video apps, including the latest Disney +. It also has a built-in speaker for a voice assistant and a photovoltaic panel on the back to charge the built-in battery. There is also a USB connector with which we can quickly charge the remote control (that’s right, the remote control does not have regular batteries anymore! We charge it like a phone).