Red Bull is holding back on signing American talent Colton Herta. The FIA’s clear edge in terms of better licenses leaves teams with no choice.
Disappointment for Red Bull and American Formula 1 fans: FIA halts switch from IndyCar superstar Colton Herta to AlphaTauri.
Because the 22-year-old has missed eight points of the best license, he is not allowed to compete in the premier class in 2023. The World Automobile Association had recently shown a clear edge in the cause and it seems that it can no longer be softened.
READ MORE about “Hooligan” Herta: This is the American Verstappen
Red Bull has no choice but to put plans with the American pilot on hold for the time being. “We are doing without Herta,” explains motorsport consultant Helmut Marko to F1 Insider on Friday.
When the FIA said no to Herta’s exemption, the racing team gritted its teeth until the end. Marko does not understand this and is disappointed by the decision: “It is a shame that the FIA does not recognize the value of an American driver in Formula 1,” says the Austrian.
However, since the team urgently needs to organize security with a view to the driver market for 2023, Red Bull now had no other choice: “And the pressure on him is also very high,” explains Marko with the intention of Herta. The American also has an obligation to his Andretti team in the IndyCar series, otherwise he would run the risk of being out of the cockpit for next year if the decision is delayed for too long.
Hertha’s test in Hungary has been cancelled
The Hertha test scheduled for next week at the Hungaroring, which Red Bull wanted to convince F1 officials once again, has therefore now been cancelled.
Curiosity: In this case, Herta would not drive in the AlphaTauri but in the Alpine: the French hoped that the deal would mean they could sign Pierre Gasly in return. Red Bull only wanted to stop this in case they committed to Herta.
Accordingly, agreement on the issue of Gasly is now far away. “Negotiations with Alpine are difficult,” explains Marko regarding the Frenchman who is ready to move. If there is no longer a suitable replacement candidate, Gasly will enter the final year of his contract with the team from Faenza and Alpine will have to look elsewhere.
Authors: Frederik Hackbarth and Ralf Bach
FOLLOW US YOUTUBE!
This is F1-Insider.com
Formula 1 Italian Grand Prix
1. Max Verstappen (Netherlands) – Red Bull 1:20:27.511 hrs
2. Charles Leclerc (Monaco) – Ferrari +2.446s
3. George Russell (England) – Mercedes +3.405
4. Carlos Sainz Jr (Spain) – Ferrari +5.061
5. Lewis Hamilton (Great Britain) – Mercedes +5.380
6. Sergio Perez (Mexico) – Red Bull +6.091
7. Lando Norris (England) – McLaren +6.207
8. Pierre Gasly (France) – Alpha Tauri +6.396
9. Nyck de Vries (Netherlands) – Williams +7.122
10. Zhou Guanyu (China) – Alfa Romeo +7.910
11. Esteban Ocon (France) – Alpine +8,323
12. Mick Schumacher (Gland/Switzerland) – Haas +8.549
13. Valtteri Bottas (Finland) – Alfa Romeo + 1 lap.
14. Yuki Tsunoda (Japan) – Alpha Tauri +1 lap.
15. Nicholas Latifi (Canada) – Williams + 1 lap
16. Kevin Magnussen (Denmark) – Haas + 1 lap.
Sebastian Vettel (Heppenheim) – Aston Martin (lap 11)
Fernando Alonso (Spain) – Alpine (lap 32)
Lance Stroll (Canada) – Aston Martin (lap 40)
Daniel Ricciardo (Australia) – McLaren (lap 46)
Status after 16 of 22 races:
1. Max Verstappen (Netherlands) – Red Bull 335 pts.
2. Charles Leclerc (Monaco) – Ferrari 219
3. Sergio Perez (Mexico) – Red Bull 209
4. George Russell (England) – Mercedes 203
5. Carlos Sainz Jr (Spain) – Ferrari 187
6. Lewis Hamilton (England) – Mercedes 168
7. Lando Norris (England) – McLaren 88
8. Esteban Ocon (France) – Alpine 66
9. Fernando Alonso (Spain) – Alpine 59
10. Valtteri Bottas (Finland) – Alfa Romeo 46
11. Pierre Gasly (France) – Alpha Tauri 22
12. Kevin Magnussen (Denmark) – Haas 22
13. Sebastian Vettel (Heppenheim) – Aston Martin 20
14. Daniel Ricciardo (Australia) – McLaren 19
15. Mick Schumacher (Gland/Switzerland) – Haas 12
16. Yuki Tsunoda (Japan) – Alpha Tauri 11
17. Zhou Guanyu (China) – Alfa Romeo 6
18. Lance Stroll (Canada) – Aston Martin 5
19. Alexander Albon (Thailand) – Williams 4
20. Nyck de Vries (Netherlands) – Williams 2
1. Red Bull 544 pts.
2. Ferrari 406
4. Alpine 125
5. McLaren 107
6. Alfa Romeo 52
7. Here are 34
8. Alpha Tauri 33
9. Aston Martin 25
Formula 1 table: So it is in the world championship of drivers