Since the introduction of OTA updates for the all-electric Polestar 2, 10 major firmware releases have been released by Polestar, containing around 100 improvements. In mathematical terms, this roughly equates to an average of a major OTA release every seven weeks. With regard to the provision of firmware updates, smartphone manufacturers are welcome to follow the example of electric car manufacturer Polestar.
Here are the new features of the Polestar P2.0 OTA software update:
- Android Automotive 11 / (R): Android Automotive OS update brings new types of apps and implements future features.
- In-car performance improvements:
- Connection stability improvements.
- Improved radio reception.
- Improved navigation stability for GPS tracking and fixed the navigation break issue when changing profiles.
- Polestar software performance improvements:
- State of Charge (SOC): Stability improvements and availability of real SOC state during charging.
- Close condition stability improvements.
- Stability improvements to weather control timers and more frequent status updates.
Other recent examples of improvements delivered through Polestar OTA updates include powertrain upgrades, scheduling preferred charging times, Polestar Digital Key upgrades, Eco climate to improve real-world driving range, and battery optimization for, among other things, pre-conditioning.
Another OTA first for Polestar is a performance software upgrade for eligible Polestar 2 Long Range Dual vehicles, available for purchase in select markets from November 2021. The performance software upgrade provides a sharper driving experience with more power and torque. The performance of the twin-engine engine increases to 350 kW and 680 Nm, the time to run from 0 to 100 km / h is reduced to 4.4 seconds and the response is improved in general.